Monday, March 1, 2010

Research and helpless frustration

I’m used to the constant disappointment of experiments flopping, of waking up in the middle of the night during those dreadful hours with the excessive fear you did something wrong with your research. These all seem to be the norm for grad school - a rewarding yet absolutely spirit breaking process.

Though I may soon face something I hoped not to encounter. The slinking horror that all my research just ceases. Coming off a great week of experiments that worked wonderfully showing very promising results that may soon lead to rapid progress, I have hit a wall. For inexplicable reasons, my fish have stopped producing eggs, meaning no embryos to run tests on. Though egg production has been capricious in the years past, I have managed to turn around our aquaculture system into a booming egg factory. But now I’m at a loss, I know how difficult it can be to get everything back into working order again and who knows how long this delay will last and what it will cost me.

With the clock ticking and grant funds dwindling, an impasse in my research is the last thing I can afford at this time.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I am so sorry! That sucks! Did you try playing Barry Manilow? That worked for our clams last fall... =] Do you know anyone who has fish successfully making eggs now?
    I'm at the "need to make it happen" stage... I have so much to do once I finish the exams. I will be in the lab day and night doing extractions, cDNA synthesis, RT-PCR, qPCR, checking every thing with the nanodrop or a gel... probably ordering more primers... still better than comps though!

    ReplyDelete