Friday, March 5, 2010

Friday Fish tank - Laetacara curviceps


It's ironic. I can't get any eggs in the lab and yet fish in my home tanks are spawning, and the angelfish in my office tank were going at it today. Here is Laetacara curviceps, or dwarf flag acara. An extremely pretty fish with each scale an iridescent green or blue. However, when in spawn mode like above, they turn a dark purple, almost black. Pictured is the female guarding her spawn. They are almost ready to become free swimming fry, with a few hopping up every now and then. The male and female take turns protecting the spawn and will occasionally carry them by mouth to a new location. The brooding behavior has been very entertaining to watch. Hell, I didn't even know I had a male and female, I assumed both were male since they were so colorful.

Since the photo was taken, the pair has moved the free swimming fry into a shallow pit dug out in the substrate and are dropkicking any fish that gets close. Ok, they're not being that aggressive, but everyone else is keeping away from that side of the tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment